Monday, May 20, 2013

Social Media Etiquette—Thumbs Down to the Thumbs Down


Having the ability to vote “thumbs down” or thumbs up” in response to someone’s online comment is a popular option. And I confess that I like to see how most other readers are responding to a particular comment.

But I'm not a huge fan of the thumbs down, and I definitely don’t like getting the thumbs down.

Can you just SAY something? Disagree with words? Let me know what you’re thinking? Let me know where our views diverge?

Don’t just give me the silent thumbs down.

And there's absolutely no need to give me the thumbs down AND leave a nasty rejoinder. That’s just gratuitous and slightly mean. You and I are the only ones left in this damn conversation. Everyone else has scattered to go weigh in on a more hot topic. So, I KNOW that thumbs down was you. Humph.

And it’s not just on my behalf that I don’t like the thumbs down. No. During a heated online discussion, I’ll go through the unpopular comments and just give people the thumbs up, even if I don’t agree with what they’ve said! (Exception: If the comments are hateful, I just leave them alone …)

Because my view is, these folks are taking an unpopular stance, and people are just silently hating.

Nope. Nope. Nope. In my book, if you want to disagree the only fair way to do it is with words. Preferably words combined in a logical and compelling manner. Let’s have an intelligent public debate, people, not a gosh darn free for all.

So no, I’ve never given anyone the “thumbs down.” I will silently back you up, but I will not silently tear you down.

Oh, I know I’m probably taking this far too seriously (that’s my personality after all), but I think your mute thumbs down is just too easy and even a little passive aggressive.

That’s all I’m saying.

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more,you are totally right, better say what you don't like so you can get a reaction too. Thumbs down is too easy,
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carla! I guess they don't want a reaction (that kind of bothers me). It's just a hit and run!

      Delete