Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Perfection is Overrated


My brother (the critical one) visited the other day. 

Walking from the foyer to the kitchen, he took a look around and, seeing the mess of our latest renovation, said in an aggrieved tone, “This … house! Nothing ever gets done. It’s like … purgatory.

He’s a clever guy, that critical brother of mine. The idea of a home purgatory, where a house could spend countless moments suspended in time constantly being improved but never perfected, was pretty funny.

That's a cool color. I wonder how that would look in the bedroom?
Nonetheless, I stuck my fingers in my ears and began to sing in a loud voice “La La La, I don’t hear you!” 

I told my brother I was on a roll, and he was not going to discourage me. 

He replied, “I’m not saying you can’t do the work, but could you finish something? Something?”


It’s true I have a penchant for redoing things. But listen. We had a leak in the living room that required the wall to be repaired, and if that’s not a reason to repaint the entire room and consider new furniture, then I don’t know what is. 

And yes, the dining room was in pretty decent shape before I decided to add the wall of bookshelves, but who wouldn’t want an entire wall of bookshelves? And since the bookshelves have to be painted, and I’m tired of the wall color and that chandelier, and gee, a couple of new chairs would really complement the new wall color, what’s a girl to do? It’s clear a do-over is in order!

My brother was happy to see that I did indeed complete the family room, although he didn't like my choice of drapes, and you see, I couldn’t win even if I tried.

Well, I gotta’ run. I have to call a plumber about moving the washing machine and dryer and maybe getting a new sink in the bathroom, but before I get the new sink I think I should talk to the tile guy, ‘cause I don’t like the tile anymore, but then again, with the holidays coming maybe I should focus on the new kitchen cabinets I wanted or sprucing up the paint in the hallway …


No comments:

Post a Comment