Friday, September 20, 2013

House Votes to Defund Obamacare


My oh my, what a day.

A few hours ago, it was announced that the House has passed a spending bill defunding the Affordable Care Act, aka “Obamacare,” just a few days before the exchanges are scheduled to open for business on October 1.


The bill is now on its way to the Senate. Senator Harry Reid (D-Nev.) has already made his prediction concerning how well it’ll fare there. "In case there's any shred of doubt in the minds of our House counterparts," Reid said. "I want to be absolutely crystal clear. Any bill that defunds Obamacare is dead, dead.”

The Republicans who supported this action (which would be all but one, apparently) seem to think they have a shot at shutting the whole thing down. And by “whole thing,” I mean Obamacare and um … the government.

Bill O’Reilly, taking the words straight out of the mouth of Your Black Friend™ , told his buddy Lou Dobbs that this would not play well with the American public, who would just blame the Republicans if the government shut down. O’Reilly said he agreed with Dobbs that Obamacare is not good for the country, but if Americans continued to perceive the Republican party as the “party of disarray” it isn't going to survive.

Hold on while I get a hanky, okay?

What a mess. I’m all for about fighting for your principles, but its hard to believe that there is anything going on here other than a big ole’ tug-of-war between the Democrats and the Republicans. In fact, who am I kidding? It’s impossible to believe anything else.

Among all the many things that I am not, I am not a political analyst. But, I’ll take my cues from those who are.

Come on, Republicans! This is a flippin’ waste of time and resources. There is no going back. The horse has left the stall. The ship has left the port. Obamacare is the law of the land, and it might be a wonderful thing for many Americans or it might be one stinkin’ mess, but you all need to let this one go for the moment.

Even Bill O’Reilly agrees with me for crying out loud.





















2 comments:

  1. Both of my sons are veterans and must go through the VA for their care. Anyone who would like to see what kind of a nightmare Obamacare is going to be with a government run healthcare system go stand in line with the rest of our servicemen and women who were the one's who fought for our country. Those losing lives and limbs and waiting for months just to get an appointment to see a doctor for the pain. This just goes on and on. Let Obamacare go through. I want to see how long it takes for all of those rose colored glasses to find their way to the trash bins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lorraine:

      First, I'd like to thank your sons for their service to this country. My son joined the military this past Spring, and I'm ashamed to say that I am just now beginning to really appreciate the sacrifice these (mostly young) men and women make.

      Second, one of my relatives used to be a healthcare provider in the VA system, so I've definitely heard the stories, and I agree that military men and women often don't receive the care they need and that it's not right.

      And so, third, I hope for their sake (and our sake too), that the ACA helps to improve the situation, despite the expectations of many.

      Thanks for your comment.

      Delete